Wednesday 10 September 2014

Mid-Autumn Festival and making snowskin mooncakes!


I'm so blessed to be part of a loving and multi-talented homeschool co-op! We made vegan, gluten-free, dairy-free Snowskin mooncakes during our Mid-Autumn-themed lesson. Each mum contributed something - I did the Chang'E and Mooncake Rebellion stories while the other mums prepared the ingredients, the lantern-making craft, the poems, songs, and food.

On my own, I would NEVER have attempted to make mooncakes, but the other mums prepared the glutinous rice snow skin paste and the lotus paste, and all we had to do we to knead them, shape them and put them into the molds. It was so therapeutic that I brought the extra dough home for a repeat session! Sadly, I don't have pictures of the homeschool co-op mooncake session. We were too busy having fun and eating as we made them, and our hands were too gooey to take any photos! Here's the recipe and step-by-step instructions on making no-bake Snowskin Mooncakes.

On Mid-Autumn night, we gathered for a potluck dinner at Bishan Park, followed by lots and lots of fire play with lanterns, sparklers and candles! It's not often that children are allowed to play with fire, and they were entranced. Which means that we mums had lots of time to do what we needed to do - stuff ourselves and talk. And Talk. And TALK! It's a highly important activity. It keeps me sane, makes me feel understood, gives me new ideas, and let's me know that I'm not alone in this sometimes overwhelming world of motherhood!

No comments:

Post a Comment